View Single Post
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 13:45   #40
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: And now for something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Then Ascenency wouldnt of been doing this 'to prove a point'.
The 'proving a point' stuff is mostly BS and any Ascendancy member who said this was wrong. There's no need to justify playing for XP with some kind of higher moral purpose; the objective of a game is to win, and if XP is the most effective route to victory then that provides all of the reasons a person or alliance needs to follow an XP-based strategy. We do not, and have never, given a shit about what 'the community' thinks of our playing style.

Quote:
They spend 30 minutes saying how many skilled players they have, and how those players are all ex-hc of this that and the other, then the next 2 hours complaining about how the skill level has dropped elsewhere.

Its that attitude I believe this thread is about.
It's true though, isn't it? Most old-timers would agree that present alliances wouldn't stand a chance against, say, LDK or Legion, if these were still around (even correcting for the difference in alliance sizes). The 1up/eXilition hegemony proved that. Of course, you can only beat the enemy in front of you, so that's no reflection on the effort put in by those who do play in the current 'top' alliances, merely a reflection on the game as a whole.

This definitely is a problem with the game rather than a problem with people. The game lacks tactical and strategic depth, and this means that most of the complexity is shifted to the meta-game (alliances). Ascendancy have managed to exploit the few tactical options that remain (XP, the exile system, Zik stealing) and the response of PA team has generally been to nerf or remove these options. So we see a game that is getting simpler, and also an alliance system that is getting simpler too - most alliances are very much alike and show little variation or innovation in their approach to the game. The days when there was an identifiable Fury, Legion or Xanadu 'way' are gone; the old differences in command structure, attack planning or basic game tactics have largely disappeared. Only the 'slow play' was used effectively by eXilition and 1up, and the last alliance strategic innovation - hiding members out of the tag - was used by Ascendancy and subsequently joined the list of 'too good to allow' strategies, being nerfed by the restrictions on alliance recruitment, score and merging.

In Ascendancy, we try to innovate. It seems like nobody else does, and is simply making ever-poorer clones of some long-gone alliance (CT being basically the fourth generation Fury knock-off). Fun, if you still enjoy that kind of thing I guess, but speaking personally I had enough of that after r9.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote