View Single Post
Unread 13 Mar 2008, 11:34   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Purposefully disabling your child

So I just read http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/justic...-200803131049/.

It essentially criticises the government for

Quote:
Persons or embryos that are known to have a gene, chromosome or mitochondrion abnormality involving a significant risk that a person with the abnormality will have or develop a serious physical or mental disability, a serious illness or any other serious medical condition must not be preferred to those that are not known to have such an abnormality.
saying that people should be allowed to choose their embryo if they are fully aware of the consequences.

Now while I would normally be in favour of allowing people to do what they want something about this doesn't sit right with me. In their example it refers to a couple who tried for a deaf child. Maybe I just find it wrong because I imagine being deaf harder than it actually is, but I would never purposefully give my children haemophilia like I have, and I would guess that is far easier to live with.

If they wanted to make themselves deaf then fair enough, but to do it to someone else just feels wrong.

Last edited by midge5; 13 Mar 2008 at 14:06.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote