View Single Post
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 16:26   #37
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Multicultural societies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Would you care to explain where im quite wrong?

For example, in birmingham, it is a minority of blacks and asians that are fighting, rioting, causing hassle etc (unless you are prepared to say "all/most blacks and asians are trouble making rioters). But the actions of the minority cause problems between the majority communities as a whole
Well you said "its the extremist minorities that hold the intolerant views "
I just think you underestimate the amount of intolerance in the world,
In alot of parts in the world its normal to be intolerant towards other cultures and it aint just minorities that hold such views.

Zimbabwe Iran Nigeria and Palastina are the most extreme examples.
Racism against chinese in Indonesia, and not the mention the general intollerence from muslims against people from other religions.
I don't know if you;ve ever been in North-East Italy, but nazism still lives their and people are used to looking down on black people.

So in alot of society's it would proberbly be unthinkable to get it to work in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
What it adds is a diversity that prevents a culture from stagnating too much. If it weren't for immigration (or rather, stealing the best and the brightest from other cultures), Britain would never have achieved its empire, as just one example.
Allowing immigration is not the same thing as a multicultural society.
Ofcourse it's good for a country to be able to evolve and adept to what happends in the world.
Its also good if your culture actually evolves, maybe even with features of other cultures.

But a Multicultural society has several destinct cultures in one society,
and try to preserve those differences while living in peacefull coexistance.
I personally don't think its in our nature to accept other people in such a way
people will always favor their own kind more, and feel odd around 'strangers'. I seriously doubt a society runs better when people have different value's, culture and behaviour.
I favor a society in which people are actually equal, and have the same value's.
To me assimilation or a melting pod aproach seems vastly superior to Multiculturalism.
At the moment we see tensions raising in many parts of Western Europe as the multiculturalistic approach towards immigrants starts to fail and it will proberbly lead to a more USA like meltingpot aproach in the future, where people are given the same oppertunity's.