View Single Post
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 20:09   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Multicultural societies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
1)The US is spectacularly racist in large chunks of it, and the UK isn't.
I think this is wrong. The UK perhaps has less incidents of out and out racial violence than some places in southern America (although even this is debateable - see asian asylum seekers in Glasgow council estates for instance), but it shows its true colours as soon as you get into discussions about immigrants and else which could potentially threaten the 'British way of life'. America, as a whole, doesnt have the same negative attitude towards immigrants and anything which threatens cultural homogenity, because it is essentially a nation of immigrants. You wouldnt ever have an American election where one of the major parties ran on a platform of cutting down on asylum seekers for instance.

Anyway, racism isnt a big problem in most UK cities simply because most UK cities dont have a large non-white populations. But in the ones that do, such as Birmingham and London, it is an issue. Are there any UK cities where different races live in relative harmony like they do in some (non-South) US cities? Probably not.

Quote:
2)I'm interested in the capitalism scale, and also how you'd explain away pre-civil rights America, which certainly was a festering bed of capitalism and was certainly overtly racist in a way few other places were at the time.
I'm not talking about 50 years ago, I'm talking about now. I'm not denying that America has a long and distinguished history of racism, from the trail of tears down to WW2 concentration camps for Japanese people.

Quote:
Also, Australia.
You cant be serious. Afaik Austalia has more racial problems than most Western countries due to the Aborginee situation.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote