View Single Post
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 14:14   #1
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold
Multicultural societies

Do they work?

Thats the question im asking (before we get bogged down in ****ing semantics and pedantry as usual).

I would consider myself a tolerant universalist, and would like to think that they do. But there seems to be so much evidence to the contrary - hatred between races, religions - peoples of some cultures just seem unable to live together - not just in places like palestine or kashmir, but in birmingham, in the deep south of america, in belgium etc.

Of course, its the extremist minorities that hold the intolerant views - but these views and subsequent actions cause tensions between whole communities who realistically have no reason to be in conflict.

When i say "do they work?" i guess you can also consider what "work" means - you could interpret this to mean are they essential/positive in the creation of a strong civic nation?

I'm not convinced either way, and was hoping we could possibly get some constructive discussion on the subject.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote