Thread: Lib Dems
View Single Post
Unread 26 Feb 2008, 18:17   #33
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Lib Dems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
PS I find it rather bizzare how the UK doesn't use PR. Christ knows if Ireland used FPP we'd have some sort of fascist Fianna Fail tyranny in place by now.
If the UK used PR then we'd have a permanent Labour/Lib Dem coalition in place since no party would ever get an absolute majority of the vote.

For those mooting a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition, I really don't see it happening. The Liberal tradition in the Lib Dems is, to my eyes, long dead - certainly as far as their policies go. It's just the SDP with a new name.

If we were to change to a proportional system then STV is probably the way to go - larger multi-member constituences seem pretty cool to me. I abhor List systems since they entrench political parties into the electoral system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Yeah I just find it strange that nobody has really tried (where by tried we assume vague levels of competence) to exploit this. If, as NDH said, 22% voted labour and I'd assume the main 3 parties got something like 50/60% of the vote (correct me if I'm wrong here) then there's a staggering percentage of the population that could legitimately view themselves as effectively disenfranchised and all of those people's primary concern would surely be gaining genuine representation for their views.
That 22% figure is based on turnout as well. I'm not sure if you realised this - I assume you did but it makes your disenfrancisement comment seem a little strange. I don't disagree from the point of view that FPTP is grossly unfair in the sheer number of wasted votes, but 40% is equally damning.