View Single Post
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 03:12   #45
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I think I might have a job ;o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I think you should go for it if that's what you want. Teaching them english might not be so interesting, but living in Japan for a year will be a life experience imo.
Also, you wont be teaching English, you'll be teaching 'Japanese English', an odd Creole that exists due to the vast lacuna that exists between our language and theirs, the massively different cultural values and prevailing attitudes in schools of 'we will teach you English that will make you successful in JAPAN'.

Saying that, the plus side is you could end up learning to communicate better. Hell, you might even be like the 0.00001% of foreigners here who can speak Japanese. I have new found skills in English-Japanese (that odd creole that exists due to foreigners living in Japan; it's strange that I can understand, almost perfectly, any Japanese foreigners speak), miming, fluency in Japanese-English, onomatopeia (Japanese and English) and the ability to agree with absolutely everything someone older than me says.

And yes, as someone kind of mentioned earlier, pronunciation is often strange due to the quite restricting syllabary that the Japanese language has, and the insistance of shoehorning any foreign words that are brought into the language into said syllabary. E.g. Mafura... Means a cars muffler (or can mean a scarf, goodness knows which language that came from). Or one for you pig, sekkusu...

All said and done, I'm having fun. If you have any questions about the place pig, ask away.

re: taxes. I pay Japanese tax, I pay no UK tax. I'm still classed as a student in the UK, however. IIRC the figure most eikaiwa (english conversation schools) quote is an after tax figure. I am not aware of any foreigners here who are also paying tax in their own country.
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote