View Single Post
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 02:59   #15
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Annoying election process begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
not sure if its as big a problem in parliament in this country, but i see that tossbag tony benn being anti house of lords and anti inherited privelege but oh look his son is now a cabinet minister and his 18 year old granddaughter was hoping to stand if the general election was called this last autumn. it really takes the piss.
I wouldn't say it was a problem in Parliament, I'd say it's a problem in society.

If you believe networking is sine qua non for opportunities then the bigger your inherited network the bigger your opportunities. If your dad owns a large media empire you're likely to own it someday as well. If your dad has spent the largest part of his life in the Parliament then it's likely you will too. I read (in his autobiography) Boris Johnson only got his job in The Telegraph because his dad was friends with someone there and he despite his laughable first attempts they kept him on.

Obviously British society has mitigated these effects now we have a world class education system that's so splendid even those in power got to where they are today through sheer hard work while studying amongst the brick-layers, shop assistants and data entry clerks of today. It warms the cockles of my heart that our former education secretary is so confident in our world class education system that she happily sent all her children into the system, despite the fact that one of them is dyslexic!

I just wish those other backwater countries, particularly the Nordic countries, would follow our lead a bit more.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote