Thread: New PC
View Single Post
Unread 18 Jan 2008, 07:48   #22
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: New PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
For what I'm getting I have 2Gb more RAM (slower ram though it may be, there's still more memory power there) and 0.5Tb more HDD space.
Speed > Size - unless you actually _require_ more then 2gb. The faster your CPU is, the more the main memory bandwidth is limiting it. Personally i am a bit surprised that selling 667Mhz ram is still common (beside for compatibility) as 800mhz is the same or lower price and delivers ~20% higher bandwidth.

For the decent CPU you selected, i would buy 1066Mhz DDR-2 currently. 2 GB 1066Mhz DDR-2 in a Kit cost 66 € here and its ~60% faster then your 667Mhz Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
oh, and MrL, it can actually detect and use 3.52Gb of the 4gig RAM, which sounds a bit stupid i know, but there you go.
The really stupid thing is that the 4gb limit in some 32bit windows versions is just for compatibility/marketing reasons. Technically PAE allows to address 64GB since the Intel Pentium Pro for 32bit software.

Memory limits for windows versions

If you really NEED to access more then 3.5 GB Ram is a completely different question and depends on what you use your machine for. Personally i would prefer 2 GB of 1200 MHz RAM over 8 GB of 667Mhz RAM anytime.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote