Thread: ID Theft/Fraud
View Single Post
Unread 16 Feb 2006, 18:54   #20
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: ID Theft/Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Spit
Sorry but I dont understand how you can say that 'all banks do it' after telling a story of how your dad only found out his card had been stopped when he needed to use it on holiday (or did I get the wrong end of the stick here?)
indeed

---------------------------------------------------------- < the right end
^
your end of the stick

The card was fine.
They didn't accept the transaction because it turned up in a foreign (dodgey) country after not being used in a few months.

Quote:
Also, you friend only found out her card had been used fraudulently after she got her statement (i guess weeks later). Natiowide literally called me within 2 hours of the last transaction, all of which were between £20 and £70.
It wasn't a friend, but it did look like a logical sequence for travelling.
What did they find suspicious? Do your bank phone you up every time you change location within a "realistically reasonable" time, in what looks like a travelling pattern?
Having said that, Barclays have phoned up one of my parents when we booked our one of our many holidays to Scotland recently. We literally go at least once a year, on one of two different ferry companies, within a month window at easter // summer / autumn usually 2 times per year.
They phoned up and asked if the "cruise" we'd booked was legitimate.
Obviously they haven't been on either of those boats :/ cruise my ass.

Quote:
I was talking to a friend yesterday who has just had £1200 taken from an account, she didnt find out until she tried to use it herself. The bank she is with, Halifax, did not spot that on 4 days in a row the maximum £300 had been withdrawn from her account despite NEVER withdrawing to the limit on the account ever before.

I dont believe all banks do it, or at least not as efficiently.
Ok, maybe it's just Barclays