View Single Post
Unread 11 Jun 2008, 20:43   #42
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Work place dilemma

I figured that now's as good a time as any to revisit this thread. First I shall reintroduce the cast (see post 1 for clarification) :

The tortoise: A little bit older, not a lot wiser. He means well but I think it's fair to say that he isn't really up to the job. Fair play to him though, he's managed to get on my boss's good side which is part of the reason he's lasted this long. The main reason he's lasted this long is....

Mr Dopey: When I wrote the first post I really didn't realise how thick this guy really is. I don't just think he's inbred, I think the three previous generations of his family were too. He made a couple of stupid mistakes that made my boss decide to get rid of him. He didn't put up much of a fight though, he handed in his notice like the condemned man asking for his final cigarette. He left a couple of weeks ago.

The wide eyed doe: I had high hopes for this guy and he's lived up to them. He's not flawless by any means but I have faith that he will at least partially fill the large pair of shoes that I shall leave behind in my departure.

Speaking of departure, I've now booked my ticket and I shall be going off on my year long holiday on the 7th of August. I haven't decided for sure yet but my final day at work will probably be the 1st of August. I told my boss this two week's ago, so I have given him more notice than I legally needed to.

The company's now playing silly buggers though. They want me to hand my notice in now, even though I don't legally need to for another 3 weeks. The reason they are giving is because in order to find a replacement for me they need to have it in writing that I'm leaving.

My gut reaction is to say no and I'll give my notice in on the first of July. I am 100% sure that I want to go but if something happens over the next three weeks that means I can't go (like I break my leg for example) they've already got it in writing that I'm leaving. So should I buckle to the demands of the corporate oppressors or should I stand and fight to the last?