View Single Post
Unread 2 Apr 2008, 01:08   #8
r2baz

r2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to all
Re: Work place dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
It would be good if I could come back to my job. It's not a particularly good company but it would be nice to have something lined up for when I come back. And no, it's not hard to get back into this type of employment.
I can understand this. I asked my manager (as nonchalantly as i could ) how the company looked at long term "career break" time off. Their response was along the lines of - "well we can't stop anybody, and we don't like it, BUT we would look on it on a case by case basis depending on how you were as an employee and how long a break you were considering." Basically they won't promise squat. See if anybody in any part of the company has done it in the past? I don't know how long you intend to go for so it's hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I would also like to get a good reference from my boss, something that he might not give me if I don't play my cards right.
Maybe somebody better qualified than me could chip in here but i am not sure as to what actual information employers are asked for or (allowed to?) put in a reference. My employers basically asks for confirmation of dates of employment and sickness record. I don't think they are allowed to put stuff like "he dropped me right in the **** that one!" If you apply for another job you could always be up front and say look my old employer is unlikely to give me a good reference because X, Y, Z.

A mates sister recently did the round the world thing ,went back to her old job , but went back as the manager of the department she left! Basically because after she had traveled she was much more confident, experienced, outgoing, and knew the job well etc. So what you want to do is possible. Although she was obviously pretty lucky too working at a good place and keeping in touch as she traveled.

Unfortunately however, employers can be pretty pants in these situations and quite blind to the fact that if they supported you they may also benefit in the long run when you go back :/
r2baz is offline   Reply With Quote