View Single Post
Unread 31 Mar 2008, 23:12   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Work place dilemma

Right, I have a little situation and I'm not sure what to do about it. First of all, let's introduce the characters in my little soap opera, in order of appearance:

The grizzled veteran: This girl has been working in my department since February 2007. Doesn't sound like a long time but of the five of us she's the old timer. She has also been given a promotion and will be leaving my department in 2 weeks time.

The dashing hero: This is me. I have been in the department since May 2007 and once the girl has gone that will make me the veteran.

The tortoise: This guy has been in my department since beginning of January 2008. He really had a slow start and really didn't seem to be going any where fast. Me and the grizzled veteran were telling my boss to sack him during his first two months here. Fair dues to him though, he really has improved over the last month and looks like he might be able to cling on long enough to finish his probation period.

Mr Dopey: He's been here since the beginning of March 2008, so almost exactly one month. He really is a bit thick but then the tortoise seemed thick during his first few weeks too. Of all the people this guy has the most reason to fear the chopping block. Luckily for him though he's too dopey to realise it.

The wide eyed doe: This is his second week here. He might be last off the starting block but he comes across as articulate and intelligent (something that the tortoise and Mr Dopey sorely lack). He also has the advantage of having worked in the food industry before. I work in the food industry by the way.

OK, so those are the players. As mentioned the grizzled veteran is leaving my department soon so there will only be 4 of us left. Problem though is that my boss has been told (and he has in turn told me, though nobody else) that 4 is unacceptable, 1 will have to be chopped to get us down to 3. The axe will have to fall some time within the next 2 months, that is the deadline.

You might be wondering why so many people were hired in the first place if one was going to be axed but let's just say that my company is not known for making intelligent decisions, especially with regards to recruitment.

Now, under normal circumstances I wouldn't be scared of being sacked. There is no way that I'd be got rid of when put up against this bunch of no hopers and dead beats. Also there is the convenient fact that all three of the Musketeers are still in their probation period (6 months) whereas I am not. For the benefit of those that don't know, you can sack someone easily while they are still in their probation period, once they've completed it things get a lot harder.

The real problem is that I plan to quit my job to go travelling at the end of July. So pretty much exactly 4 months from now.

So I guess the kindly thing for me to do would be to tell my boss that I plan to leave in 4 months anyway so he will only have 3 people left. Thing is though if he knows I'm leaving anyway he might not wait those 4 months and sack me now, or in 2 months time when the axe has to fall. I know I can't just get sacked for no good reason (employment laws and all that) but I guess he could make me redundant. I'm not too sure, haven't really studied it.

So, what do I do? Save the fresh meat from being put in the grinder or look after myself and make sure I don't get put out to pasture before the end of July? I'm not the kind of guy who would save someone's job at the cost of losing 2 months pay myself.

Legally I don't need to tell my boss anything until I hand him my letter of resignation and inform him of my 1 month's notice. Thing is though I like the guy and I want to help him plan ahead as well. He's a nice guy but he's also the kind of guy who would allow himself to be pressured by his superiors so I can't rely on him to look after my best interests either. I would also look a bit silly if he sacks someone and then pretty much exactly 1 month later I give him my resignation. Herein lies my problem.....

Last edited by ChubbyChecker; 31 Mar 2008 at 23:33. Reason: typo
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote