View Single Post
Unread 22 Feb 2007, 15:37   #7
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Hate something, change something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I wrote a rambling blog about this recently, but hating people is giving them unnecessary attention and therefore undeserved proportion of your mental activity. If someone isn't very good it is probably best to ignore them and never give them another thought.
I agree. But I find it hard to ignore something that's annoying me for some unknown reason. I need to distance myself from it; basically contrive an environment where the annoyance is completely absent.

I think it comes down to sensitivity.

I known people who can to happily ignore the things they don't like and embrace the things they do. This is a good way of living, but it relies on an ability to detach oneself from the bad bits of one's environment. Most significantly, it means the status quo remains.

But if you hate the things in your environment you'll be motivated to change those things. And as long as your conduct your activities in a benevolent way, I see no harm in hate - it may even advance social conditions.

This thread, in retrospect, is basically a defence of hatred for benevolent ends.

There's a whole other subject about whether one can change social conditions in a benevolent manner. A trivial example would be this forum. You can give someone negative reputation if they post something you don't like, and hope they either stop posting or stop posting the kind of material of which you do not approve. So you're trying to improve the forum.

But why do it at all? Why not just close the browser window and never give the post another thought?

In addition, you're worsening the forum for those users you gave negative reputation. Phalon's departure after he received negative reputation for his Italian football thread is an example.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote