View Single Post
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 16:48   #50
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Its things like this that make me wish i was still a student :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Yes.

I've never found a single use for Access. Maybe in programming or something it's used, but I've never encountered it anywhere I've worked (doing temp work in offices or whatever).

As far as database software goes, there's better stuff out there, surely? And for anything less, Excel serves me just fine. I love Excel
Access is good for simple/home/personal databases. Excel, as far as I've worked/programmed it, sucks at creating relations between data. It'll do the job of making a list of your music collection just fine, but don't make it (much) more complex.

Also, Access is usable as database backend for simple applications. You can use it without having Access installed by simply installing some JET database driver and something else that you can download from MS.
And in my opinions Access' drag'n'drop editor is nice for teaching people how relational databases are built up.

But anyway, to get back to the original point, who needs MS Office? Surely the only remotely usefull and hard to replace thing in there is Outlook. In my opinion it's much better than Thunderbird. And for writing documents at home OpenOffice will do the job just fine.