Thread: Yo americans
View Single Post
Unread 13 Dec 2006, 12:32   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Yo americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
60.7% of the US electorate voted in the presidential election in 2004, with around 60% of the electorate voting for either a Democrat or a Republican.
The 2004 election was something of an anamoly (presumably because of the perceived closeness and the extraordinary efforts of various groups to try and get people out to vote even if they disliked both parties (e.g. Punkvoter.com)). Even then, your 60.7% is a little high I think. The Federal Election Commission puts it at 56.7% of the voter age population (http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2004/tables.xls). I've seen the 60% figure previously, but I think that's of eligible voters, not of voter aged adults.
Quote:
That suggests that a majority of voters feel able to vote for one of the main parties.
Well, it doesn't "suggest" that, it demonstrates they are able to vote for them. But does that mean anything?

If offered a choice on whether I would like my hand or my foot cut off, I would probably offer an opinion, but I think it's wrong to assume that I'm necessarily satisfied with the range of choices on offer. Yes, people could set up alternate parties (and many do) but there are enormous barriers to entry and it's not clear whether those who dissatisfied with the Democrats/Republicans have any faith in the system generally anyway.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote