View Single Post
Unread 18 Jul 2006, 10:43   #91
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Big Ol' War Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
The reality is that life in Palestine is not so harsh as to be detrimental to the health of it's populace. They may lack the western medical facilities and expertise available in Israel but I don't think that's very surprising. In fact, when compared with their Arab friends they come out ahead:
I wasn't saying they were dreadfully off compared to Somalia. That said there is no question that if the lived in the western world by any definition the vast majority of the population would fall below the poverty line. All my comparisons were towards Israel. That's what they see and it's that dichotomy that will eventually drive even more to violence. That's what I meant when I said it's apartheid. In south africa the non-white population was mostly better off than the population of other countries. But it's the separation, the alienation and the constant reminder of how little you have that drives you to violence against those who do. I'm not saying it's right that it happens, I'm saying it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
So it comes down to dying on your feet instead of living on your knees? Although at the rate things are going people will soon be dying in all kinds of messy positions.

There is no solution that will help everyone but there are solutions that will help some. What I suggested, while admittedly horribly flawed, would be a start.

I'll compare it with your proposed solution.

Oh wait......
My proposal is this. The UN, backed by the armies of NATO, demands all sides to cease fire and an immediate pull back of Israeli forces from the Gaza strip, an end to naval blockades of Lebanon and the Gaza strip, an end to any new settlers moving into the West Bank and pullback of all Israeli air forces from the aerospace above Lebanon and the gaza strip. In the meantime any and all offensive operations, airstrikes, rocket launches, suicide bombings from all sides are to cease within a period of six hours. The withdrawal has a fixed time period of one week. If either side does not adhere to this schedule they get any forces contravening it systematically demolished.

Then you begin talks. The entire region is isolated and no non-humanitarian supplies will be allowed into either area. All Israeli settlements in the west bank will either have to leave and move back into Israel proper or pay a substantial either fixed payment, or a long-term inflation-dependent rate to keep their homes. This amount can be determined as to how much it costs for Palestine to resettle/rehouse the people who could be living on this land somewhere else (note these are not reparations). This amount can be discussed and debated by both sides but will be finally decided upon by an impartial team of Swiss, Swedish etc observers. The USA would be encouraged to alter part of the enormous amount of military aid they send to israel into the form of humanitarian and construction aid to help in the resettlement of settlers who move back into Israel in Israel itself.

The control of water sources in the west bank is made the province of the new Palestinian state. If they are found to be, by teams of international observers who will remain in place for, in all likelihood, decades afterwards, discriminating against Israeli settlers all foreign aid and all taxes paid by settlers will be halted and assets abroad frozen until the same observers are satisified this is not taking place. A single system would be set up to improve the infrastructure, roads, sewerage, power plants, hospitals of Palestine itself. A bill of rights is set up in Palestine to defend basic human rights such as freedom of expression and religion. If Hamas, and all political parties, do not clearly and unequivocally state that they are abandoning violence as a means of political change they will be barred from running in subsequent elections. If Palestine ignores this all aid will cease. If Israel elects a party which advocates expansion into these areas they will be embargoed. If suicide bombers emerge from Palestine the Palestinian government will be forced to pay a sum, dependent on the damage, to the government of Israel, which the government of Israel will have to prove is being used in reconstruction of affected areas and aid to the victims' families. UN-funded courts of arbitration will be set up to deal with the no doubt countless problems which will emerge.

This will cost money. But my friends, you fix the world one problem at a time.