View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 15:21   #55
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

I'd like a quite a few years dedicated to the subject of learning.

In secondary school and sixth form I only did well at computer science, mainly because my intelligence seems naturally geared in a logical way that aides my understanding of programming constructs. However, at that stage, I lacked in others areas. This wasn't a huge problem because you generally choose what you're good at and neglect everything else post 18. You can survive.

However later, when I decided that I wanted to branch out in life, I found myself wanting in other areas and started looking at improving those areas. But I think most people do not do this because they assume if they can't do something it ends there - no possibility of self-improvement. But as I'm a contrary arsehole I decided that I'd find out why I couldn't do something (what fundamental skills I lacked) and construct ways enable me to do it (games that would allow assessed incremental improvement).

So I'd like two things: 1) To introduce the art of introspection. This would allows students to concentrate more on improving their skills in that area rather than competing and often failing to understand something at a set level. The latter obviously reinforces disaffection with a subject. 2) To assess children on how much they've improved and compare children based on that improvement (if you're still dubiously aching to compare, that is). Of course there would be a set level of understanding needed, but I would not emphasize marks in relation to that. And if the student still doesn't improve introduce another round of introspection.

I'd also like to emphasize to children from an early age that it's not important that someone learns something at a faster rate than someone else, because people are naturally good at different things, but that it's important that someone learns how to understand their weaknesses and improve them. Therefore if a student does not complete a stage of education or learning a subject at the same rate of everyone else it won't make them hate the subject because they're concentrating on themselves not others.

Your intelligence is relative to yourself at a previous time, instead of someone else, who is more or less irrelevant really.

Last edited by Hebdomad; 14 Aug 2007 at 15:31.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote