View Single Post
Unread 14 Feb 2006, 23:18   #44
SpaceMonkey
Warden

SpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Total smoking ban passed (previously "Get in my son")

First off, I am a smoker and have been for sometime.

Although I agree with Ste that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
It's hardly an attack on smokers' civil liberties asking them to step outside while they ...
but I would like to point out that pubs, clubs, bars whatever were never forced to allow smoking. If the vast majority of people would prefer to go to non-smoking places, why is it that some of these places have not chosen to ban smoking on their premises as their policy?

As to the health issues, which do you think is worse, inhaling second hand smoke from a cigarette (where the smokers lungs have already acted as a highly effective filter) or from the exhaust of a car?
There are also other ways to tackle this problem. I have heard of a Canadian(?) tobacco company trying to making less harmful cigarettes by not adding so many chemicals to the tobacco.

I would also like to add that banning smoking will probably lead to more people quitting. Not a bad thing I hear you say, but consider the amount of tax that smokers pay then consider the state of the NHS and the value of a state pension (when you retire.)

I'm done, you may now rip me to shreds.
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote