View Single Post
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 12:46   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modem / Router Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
c) Since when did wireless routers work using Bluetooth?
Wireless = 802.11a/b/g/n/whatever
Bluetooth = Bluetooth
It amuses me that it took 5 replies to pick this up.. I lol'ed

As for the stability of wireless, it used to be extremly unreliable.. but that was 12 years ago, its matured hell of a lot since then and from my own experience is rock solid.

One of the things people tend to overlook is that it is a line of sight technology. Generally your standard off the shelf card & router should be sufficient for most indoor areas (unless you own a mansion). The stock antenna is usually rated to 100M indoors & 400M outdoors.. but that doesn't account for technology blockers like several feet of wall or steel re-enforcing that your standard house is littered with.

Throw in that it has to contend with other devices sharing the same 2.4Ghz band that wireless networks operate on (certain cordless phones etc).

Generally if you can place the router somewhere high where it has less infrastructure to contend with the better. Failing that you can also try a bigger antenna on the recieving end, and as a last resort putting a larger antenna on the router also.

The other common problem people seem to have is setting up the security settings right, if the settings on both the network card and router aren't talking the same then you will not be able to make a connection either.

As part of an experiment myself and a few friends setup a long range network stretching a 10K radius using stock network gear and slightly modified antennas and it was suprisingly stable.