View Single Post
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:32   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Alcohol culture...

What Mark said.

Undoubtedly someone will respond with "Well I have amazingly fun times while clubbing even when I'm sober" - well, good for you. This is not the case with most people I know, especially if you change 'Alcohol culture' to 'Intoxication culture'. I could have easily had my NYE festivities without any alcohol if you swap to another intoxicant, but I presume that's not what you mean.

Speaking personally, due to social norms and other issues, I find it quite difficult to talk to 'strangers' if I'm not mashed on some level or another - at least, not unless there is some sort of structure in place (e.g. I'd be fine to deliver a presentation to people I've never met and indeed I do this semi-regularly as part of my work). I think like many people I tend to "overthink" things, so if I was speaking to someone and there was a lull in conversation I would normally tend to dwell on this silence which would cause a strange feedback loop where I would be increasingly unable to think of anything to say. Intoxicants tend to obliterate this process which leads to an increase in social interaction.

You mention the issue of "judgement". A lot of people don't necessarily adore their own sense of judgement. They may find themselves too risk averse in day-to-day life and this may not be appropriate in certain circumstances (again, clubbing springs to mind). I would never while sober, after perhaps 30 seconds of conversation with a pretty girl, say "Can I kiss you?" but I have done on alcohol on various occassions, and it's always reaped positive results.

Also, there is the issue of pain. Most people's drunken escapades seem to involve doing things which would be fairly tiring/painful or boring if you weren't drunk (e.g. walking around in the cold, dancing around for 9 hours, etc). Alcohol (and other intoxicants) tend to act as a mild pain killer in this regard.

Oh yes, and for most people simply being drunk is (at first at least) is actually quite fun. Obviously if you're in a bad mood then alcohol can not necessarily rescue you, but I tend to find (as I've said elsewhere) the first two hours (at the very least) of drinking to be pretty euphoric.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote