Thread: $$$
View Single Post
Unread 14 Feb 2008, 01:00   #26
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all
Re: $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Best reply I've seen yet.

And we don't need Jolt to make ad banners, we need 15 minutes of anybody's time to make an Ad Banner so that we can CHOOSE to advertise planetarion on any site; social sites (bebo/facebook etc), clansites, university boards, personal websites, project work, office emails.

And yes, once I have a PC capable of running photoshop again, I'll have a go at one of these banners myself.

Paolo, please stop posting

The alliance cap is the ONLY THING SAVING THIS GAME. Remove it and PA will die.

And when PA does get income... even if only 500 planets were 'paid' - that's still £2500. Now... you may not know a lot about, well, anything apparently. But assuming we had to pay to rent servers, that'd be enough to cover hosting for around 20 years. That's based on £10 per month from most professional hosting companies. And we have around 3 rounds per year, so yeah... roughly 60 rounds.

But Jolt already own the damned servers. So even for the last 10 rounds, if only 500 people per round had paid... that's still £25,000. With that much money, we could rent the servers for 200 years and play 600 rounds of PA. Assuming people still used the internet 200 years from now, and hosting still cost the same (unlikely, but the price for the game would increase in parallel to the cost of web hosting making any consistency argument invalid).

So based on 10 rounds of P2P (which is in practice closer to 20), and earnings well over £100,000 - do you REALLY think Jolt needs any more fecking money from us?
Well I was talking about the same stuff your 'Best reply I've ever seen' was talking about, be it in a more finance focused post. Makhil was more to the point and brings up some very good ideas.

And about the Alliance limit, that has to do with elite groups and officers. It will always be a case of big alliance of elite players vs other big alliance of elite players. Everybody loves that to happen. The elite player to be challenged and fight the hard battle and for the casual player to look at and be inspired. If you keep decreasing the amount of elite players that are capable of playing together, you will just simply lose them and the game will lose quality. Less quality, no more big challenge, no point in keep playing the game as SimPlanet is not really challenging.

Then the officers. Being an officer is hard work, especially a DC. To ensure round the clock coverage you will need a minimum of DC's, so the % of members that need to be an officer in an alliance increases when the alliance limit decreases. Not everyone wants to be an officer, a very little amount of people do. Even less are actually good at it.

I should probably let someone like Makhil or Jerome explain it more clearly, but this is the general outline of the problem.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote