View Single Post
Unread 1 Nov 2003, 16:31   #131
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Mercenaries: Dark Void

All
Zappa is the first to get into actual combat. Here on I'll be trying out a variety of different approaches to combat, bear with me and I'll ahve one finalised by the second missions.

Cortana IV

Flapjack
You order Dot to take the lights out.

Dot: "Roger that sir, can't see a generator, probably belowground, so I'll have to shoot the bulbs out."

Next thing you know, you hear a whining noise as the bullet ricochets off the metal frame of the lamp, followed by a tinkling noise as the shattered glass falls to the floor. Since there are no less than six lights shining brightly down on the ground, it takes Dot a while to take them all out. And by the time he's done, you get the impression that the people in the base know something is up. You can hear alarm klaxons wailing from inside, and motors starting up. Porbably sending out a motorised patrol. Re-activating your thermal goggles, you move out from the undergrowth into the open ground, ordering the others to follow you. You end up at the base of the wall, out of sight from anyone on top of it, and undetected as far as you can tell.

Dot: "They're goin' ape-**** down there Captain, but I can't see exactly what they're doing."

Zappa
You order Jonathon to open up on the enemy gunners.

Jonathon: "Yes sir, targetting the heavy laser gunners."

Another laser bolt slams into the gorund next to the AFV, which swerves away from the blast, bits of shrapnel and dirt bouncing off its armoured chasis. That's the last bolt, however. Saloman reports what he sees through the gunner's sights.

Saloman: "Looks like the laser gunners are having a spot of sniper-related bother, sir, they're relocating."
Jonathon: "The laser gunners have switched position, or are doing it as we speak; I can't see them. Switching fire to the AAA Gunners."

Meanwhile, Jeffrey slams on the breaks and the hovering AFV comes to a dead stop in less than a second.

Jeffrey: "Sarah, Chris, Kerrigan, out!"

The three soldiers in question launch themselves out of the open back door, Jeffrey accelerates forward without closing it. Before stopping again and dropping off Jack, Morrigan and Percival. Finally, after another sharp drive forward, he drops off you, Jean and Collin.

Jeffrey: "Affraid I couldn't drop you off unseen sir, it's an open field. Best I could do was put you in drainage ditches. Starting to draw fire now, sir, good luck."

Indeed, you now find yourself in a drainage ditch, more or less in cover from all the smallarms fire whining through the air above you. Everybody already has their orders, so you're free to watch them carry said orders out. Chris and Kerrigan start off by launching themselves out of their ditch with incredible speed, consdering the weight of their armour, and going prone in one of the craters left by the laser blasts. Setting up their HMG, they start laying down a hail of fire on the troops around the AAA guns, and you see several defending troops go down. Sarah follows quickly, jumping into the crated behind them. Jack, however, isn't so keen on his orders.

Jack: "Have ye lost yer mind sir? I can't sneak anywhere in this tin can."

He has a point. Sneaking of any kind is very difficult in heavy power armour. You might have to change your plan. Everything else, though, seems to be working fine. Jean and Collin form up behind you, and together you go over the top and start tearing toward the enemy troops, who have now mostly dropped into drainage ditches themselves for cover. Together you tear across the open ground toward the house. Presently, Jean is thrown off his feet with a cry, flat onto his back on the floor. You and Collin hit the dirt.

Collin: "Jean! You okay buddy?"
Jean: "Yeah, I'm fine. Think it was only a ricochet, chest plate stopped it."
Collin: "Sir! Heavy fire form the house, we're pinned down!"

At this point, though, you hear a roar of engines, followed by a whining noise. You see the shape of a Condor GAF streak overhead, followed by tracer fire from the AAA guns, and the top half of the house explodes into flame.

Miles: "Primary attack run complete, I can make three more before I need to rearm. Out of AA range...now. Only took light fire."
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote