Unread 24 Oct 2003, 16:31   #109
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Mercenaries: Dark Void

Cortana IV

Fluffie
You send Sabre out ahead.

Sabre: "Roger that, sir."

He activates his suit's blend generator and vanishes from plain view. Switching your thermal indicator on, you see him dissapear into the dense foliage, heading toward the target. Presently you turn to a large group of troops, remind them that they're non-combatants (with the obvious exception of Gent and Timothy), and order them to remain behind and provide support. You order Morpheus to get set to trying to intercept enemy transmissions and Neo to releasing one of his sensor balloons and sets up his equipment, ready to relay the information to you.

Morpheus: "Searching for the enemy frequencies now, sir, it'll take a few minutes."
Neo: "Balloon deployed, sensor equipment assembled, what do you want to know?"

You tell Morpheus to prepare to call in artillery fire as something of an afterthought.

Morpheus: "I'll have to get an experienced artillery spotter to give me accurate target co-ordinates first, sir. Either Sabre or Neo's balloon will be good for that."

You then order the remaining men/women/troops to assemble and move out, waiting for clearance from Sabre first. You hen have a quick change of mind and order Scotts and China to follow the combat group, but to stay out of the line of fire. You wait for a few tense moments, then-

Sabre: "I'm at the edge of the clearing around the first battery. I can see bother of the other two. The first is in the middle of the valley, the second on the right slope and the third on the left slope. They're connected by a trench system, and there's a sizeable-looking bunker roughly equidistant between them that looks like a command post/barracks/fire control building. That's where the long range coms array and the sensor equipment is. I see around two platoons of infantry in addition to the gunners and support troops, but no vehicles apart from the unarmed haulers for the guns and a couple of supply gunships. It's safe to move up, the guards are a bit lax and I don't see any patrols."

Neo: "Position of AAA batteries confirmed."

The combat gorup moves up, slowly but surely, to Sabre's position, now communicating entirely via radio for the sake of stealth. Neo constantly updates you on what's going on around the batteries and the command post. Suddenly-

Morpheus: "Radio traffic indicates that they're just a few seconds away from discovering the sensor balloon."
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote