Thread: The Smoking Ban
View Single Post
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:53   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Smoking Ban

I didn't give up smoking when the ban came in in Scotland, though I was always a 'polite' smoker and never enjoyed sparking up indoors anyway. It'll make ****-all difference to most people's lives. Pubs still smell like pubs, people still go to them, the arse didn't fall out of Scotland when it came in and I very much doubt something startling different will happen in England.

The proportion of my friends with whom I go drinking regularly that smoke is probably 20-80, almost exclusively people I worked bar with, so if one of us goes out for a fag it's very rare that anyone's left alone inside.

To be honest I was against the ban, if only because the market had already showed (albeit slow) signs of adapting to changing consumer wants which is exactly what it's meant to do. If people desparately demanded non-smoking pubs and clubs, they'd probably have started to come into existence. Of course it's not that simple, but reliably demand will dictate supply given sufficient time for the market to adapt. People weren't so arsed about smoking indoors that they refused to guzzle liver-destroying alcohol on the off-chance they smelt of smoke or got cancer as opposed to reeking of booze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Incidentally do smokers enjoy the taste/smell of smoking?
Not particularly, though I'm also one of those people who claims that if alcohol-free/low-alcohol lager tasted the same as the good stuff then I'd drink it in greater proportion than the hangover-inducing happy juice I love so much