Thread: The Console War
View Single Post
Unread 30 Mar 2007, 18:21   #5
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice
Re: The Console War

Well, which Wii games have you tried? Personally, I found Red Steel to be quite brilliant (for a launch game, mind you), and Kororinpa certainly showed how great the control is for that kind of game (way better than Monkeyball, though with stupid camera angels). Further, WarioWare was great, and Excite Truck hopefully gets a sequel which can be great, as the original had lots of potential, though poorly exectuted (another rushed title). As it is, all the titles out for Wii has been rushed (with the exception of Zelda, but that's a GameCube title), and the truly great titles wont be out for a while yet. Personally I'm putting my money on Metroid Prime 3 - the two pervious titles in this series were great, and I rate Metroid Prime as one of my 3 favourite games of all time (along with StarCraft and Metal Gear Solid).

As for FarCry on Wii: Yes it's truly horrid. However, all the FarCry: Vengeance (the console titles of the series) titles are horrible, this one is only the worst of the lot. Oh well, there you go with Ubisoft developing the game instead of CryTech.

Anyway, back to the OP:
360: The 360 haven't really sold that well - it has sold relativley well, yes, as could be expected, but tbh the sale numbers are too low to call it a success - not a failure, but no great success either. That said, the console only became worthwhile after the software upgrade in... september, was it? The Live system is aweosme, and is their biggest selling points - it seems the 360 doesn't have as many big series as the PS3 (though a lot of big games). By opening the money bag and buying games like Devil May Cry, GTA4 (and MGS4 rumored to come to the 360 simultanously) they might catch up with Sony.

PS3: I haven't tried it a lot yet, but to say that Sony has had a lot of blunders lately would be an understatement. However, their brand is still very strong in the average consumer, and I think they'll still dominate the market - Sony at any less than 50% of the market seems absurd. However, they need to straighten out their internet support as well as other software bugs. To be honest, it's a bit unfair: The PS3 is compared to what the 360 is like now, while the 360 has been out for a year. If you compare the PS3 to what the 360 was like at launch they're fairly even. In a year's time I think the PS3 will be a great console - but no need to spend money on it now. First generation builds are usually buggy anyway.

Then the Wii: The Wii isn't in direct competition to PS3/360. They're aiming for a different market, different games, and they are doing it great. I think the Wii will be a lot of fun, though it will be the smallest of the three, and not at all have the same amount of hardcore games or hardcore gamers - as always with Nintendo, really. The "chronic" third party support problem shouldn't apply at all, though. As it is, both EA and Ubisoft are extremely positive to the Wii, and I think we can expect a lot of interesting exclusive titles on the Wii from these two (not to mention other developers).
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote