Thread: The Environment
View Single Post
Unread 31 Jan 2007, 21:17   #39
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: The Environment

The funny thing is that people have said this shit for 40 years and have been labeled morons, idiots and laughed at for being stupid idealists. Not so fun now when the snow starts melting, eh?

The thing is, I think it's good that people take action in their lives to consume less. But this is more a personal health issue, as I actually believe that less consumption is a good way to get a better life, and also save money to do something worthwhile with (Ie, if you turn of your computer at night, drink two less cokes and ditch the car for public transport you can save money for traveling, spending on loved ones or whatever comes to mind).
However, the effect it has on the world in a larger scale I'm unsure of. I think the blame lies on the people who profit on ****ing up the environment. The corporations who sells their products to "us" as ecological, or advocates less pollution schemes have the same shareholders who pollute water supplies in the third world or dump huge ships in places where there are no laws regarding waste or pollution. The fact that I neither have a car license or drive does not affect the environment at all, and the problem with many of the people advocating less-use is that they do it in a moralistic way, the same way as the left (it is mostly the left, at least until recently) has alienated many of the working class they're supposed to be part of due to being moralistic bastards who points the finger in the wrong direction.

All in all, I think it's good people do take action, but it's like pissing against the wind if not drastic changes occur.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote