View Single Post
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 22:40   #1
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
****ing Animal Rights Protesters

Right, so today was the big protest in Oxford by SPEAK, who are trying to get the construction of the animal lab in Oxford stopped.

All the construction workers are wearing masks to hide their identities for fear they will be attacked by protesters. One animal rights group has already burned down one of the boathouses, having glued the doors shut (Why? Dunno, maybe to stop anyone who was in there getting out?) and declared war on the entire university. People like me couldn't do anything about the lab even if we wanted to. They stand outside buildings shouting and using megaphones late in the evening. I just want to scream SHUT THE **** UP!! but I don't because otherwise they'll find my house and post a bomb through my letterbox. They say that anyone who is in anyway affiliated with the university is a target. That includes me and my department, that includes the cleaners who hoover the students rooms, that includes the boys from local schools who sing in the chapels of colleges with all-male choirs, everyone and everything to do with the uni, it includes vodaphone who somehow have something to do with the uni, tho most people have no idea what.

The protesters will stand in the middle of town shouting about how the sick inhuman scientists stand laughing over poor little animals while they hack them open with blunt rusty knives and then sew them up so they can do the same thing to them again and again every day for NO REASON. And they will tell you about the disgusting conditions of the lab, and how there are so many other alternatives to animal testing and how animal testing doesn't work anyway and so it's a waste of time, and they only reason they keep doing it is because the bad scientists are sick and perverted and enjoy watching animals suffer and the government is making lots of money from cutting up animals and watching them suffer because OBVIOUSLY loads of companies are just waiting to hand out money to sick perverted scientists.

And yet they will also freely admit that not one of their number has ever actually been inside the lab, and that none of them are scientists and so don't actually know anytihng about research on animals. And they also don't know that the regs in this country are among the most strict, or THE most strict in the world, and to keep a monkey in the experimental psychology dept to have him point at pictures of bananas it costs more than it would to employ a postdoc, and no research finds money easy to get hold of, and certainly doesn't make money from having the animals there. And if their child was dying in hospital and could only be saved by animal tested drugs, they wouldn't want their child to have them because they couldn't live with themselves for condoning animal testing. WHATEVER.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
*SLAP* *SLAP* SLAP*

Sorry, really needed to rant. They wind me up something chronic. It's gotten to the stage where an estimated 85% of uni students here are in favour of the construction of the lab, and I'm sure the protesters have done rather a lot to raise that number.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”

Last edited by Jennifer; 15 Jan 2006 at 12:05.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote