View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 19:41   #37
bradleykins

bradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these parts
Re: The end of british democracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Why do we have to impose these laws? The UK was under threats of terrorism for decades before these laws. Such laws tend to persecute minorities and such persecution can incrse the risk of terrorist attacks.
And there will always be the threat of terrorism, what we can do to prevent it is being done, yet you believe that ignoring that will be the best course of action? it aint gone away so far has it?

Quote:
To keep things in perspective, these laws are being used against people protesting the expansion of an airport.
As mentioned they were searching for individuals who sought to demonstate by use of violence and terror.

Quote:
That's what they all say.
And they are always lying?

Quote:
Debatable.
Debate it.

Quote:
Debatable. Even if you are correct, there has been an undeniable sldie towards such a situation.
debate it, and i may have to agree there is a considerable increased move towards a police state.

Quote:
All we can do is look to the past. And shudder.
you refuse to acknowledge all the things that have been achieved?

[quote=All Systems Go]You've already accepted the modern government lies, kills and tortures for its own purposes, is it so unlikely that they'll do it here?[quote] correction i have seen that prior governments lie, books covers etc, you cant tell till its done.

Quote:
Seeing as you have advocated limiting the rights of every signle individual in the country you are, by definition correct. But if you're trying to suggest that millions of people are on the verge of dying as the result of a terrorist attack I would asy you're wwwaaaaaaaayy off.
your pen pals with them, know they only intend to pop a couple of people here and there? How do you know that isn't a possible threat?

Quote:
Appealing to emotion is not a good argument. No, wait. It's not an argument at all.
what about appealing to someones humanity? you feel these people you have never met deserve to have more liberty than you? Me?

Quote:
I don't really see this as a move towards security when the state is allowed to place itself in a position to use force and illegal detentions to protect its own interests.

When Putin passes these laws they're because he's a criminal. When it happens in our country it's 'legitimate.'
again future is unpredictable, you dont definitly know that anything will happen.

Quote:
So that makes all laws good? People must be protected from terrorism, but they must also be protected from the potentially far more serious threat of crimes committed by the state.
i agree, there must be a degree of protection, how do you propose we do that?

Quote:
That you feel the government actually represents you as an individual is rather sweet, but naive.
i dont, but i fail to see why that gives my arguements any less merit.

Quote:
You keep on beliving that.
i shall.

Quote:
Wrong.
examples? evidence?

[quote=All Systems Go]Take a look at some of the legislation passed. It's all pretty restrictive. Just because you don't feel it every moment doesn't mean it's not happening.[quote] agreed, i see the restrictions, and acknowledge why they are needed.

Quote:
By limiting the rights of the individual?
for the benefit of the majority.

Quote:
Say I did run for parliament and won a seat at the Hosue of Commons. What then? What actual power would I have to change anything? If I was advocating radical reform of the entire political system in the country, I would get no coverage in the mass media. The only exceptions being when they want a looney to entertain the masses and be publically derided and called an idiot on national TV.
You admit your a loon? not a great argument already... say you did, then the majority which is in agreement with you, would no doubt back you. If not, perhaps your argument is incorrect?

Quote:
Unlsess they randomly stop in the street for no reason as I inconspicuouly make my way to the killing fields.... Oh wait, I see what you did there!
lol

Quote:
How is protecting people who have done nothing wrong protecting evil?
your assuming they have done nothing wrong.

[quote=All Systems Go]lol. Trust in politicians. lol[quote] better them than you.

Quote:
I'm not saying it was your fault
Although you could have done more

Oh you're so naive yet so

How could this be done
Your such a smiling sweetheart
Oh and your sweet and pretty face
In such an ugly way
Something so beautiful
That everytime I look inside

I know that she knows that I'm not fond of asking