View Single Post
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 18:10   #7
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough
Re: Housing Law, Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
1) Can he charge us for general cleaning of the house before the new tennants move it? I'm not talking about broken windows or anything, more like an unemptied freezer and unhoovered carpets?
Your agreement wills say something like "fair wear and tear aside". The longer you have occupied the property, the more of an argument you will have that damage, if any to the furnishings was fair, considering the period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
2) Is he required by law to have the house properly cleaned before he lets it to new people?
No.

However i can almost certainly guaruntee that there are certain aspects of the law that he has failed to serve his obligations towards.

For example, if there were any gas appliances on the site, or a gas meter he IS required by law to issue you with a CP12 CORGI registered Landlords Gas Safety Record under the 1998 Gas Safety Regulations act.
If he hasnt done this then you can report him to CORGI, who will defer the case to the HSE (http://www.hse.gov.uk/prosecutions/).
The upshot of this is that he will have to cease trading as a business while he is investigated.

Perhaps with this sort of information he will be more willing to pay your deposit in full...

Its advisable imo to take photos of a property when you move in and out, ive started doing this and, whilst i havent had to use them yet (so i dont know if they stand from a legal viewpoint), they would certainly act well as a deterrent.

Hope this helps!

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote