View Single Post
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 11:20   #26
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I'm not sure what your point is?

I disagree with that, as I am sure many others do. I also can't see the 90 day rule getting through the Lords and the Commons. With 28 days we already have the longest detention in the west, so I doubt 90 days will come into place.

Personally I think its a terrible idea, but the average joe may think along the lines of "I'm not a terrorist, it doesn't affect me." etc. Also he is putting in place safeguards. If you read this, it gives you the gist of them. Such as Judicial review every 7 days.

Obviously this is a terrible idea.
these safeguards have not appeased me, no would I expect them to. this is just another in a very llong line of repressive (oppressive?) mesurements passed by this government. Whether of not the tories would have been less shit is debatale, but it's probably just a matter of degrees.

Quote:
But my main point still stands. Please try and ignore the fact that Labour is slightly anal about Iraq and Terrorism, I guess you get that way after your allies were attacked and you were attacked.
Slightly anal? Slighty? these are elected officials, supposedly professionals who have vast powers over the rights of the entire country. It cannot just be dismissed as the PM throwing a tantrum. this isn't like the West was minding it's own business and then got attacked for no reason. the US and the UK have a prologed and bloody history of interference in the Middle East, always with the aim of strengthening their own position.

Quote:
But instead look at what Labour has done, and will continue to do. Terrorism, Foreign Policy etc aside, Labour in my opinion will do a better job than the Tories. Don't forget what happened under the Tories, it's easy to do. But certainly not a good idea.
these are massive issues which will (no, I'm not exagerating) damage the freedoms of people in the UK for generations to come and will continue to kill thousands of people in the Middle East for just as long, whilst not actually making anyone safer.

Labour have made a sharp move to the right and the policies which they discuss are pretty much the same, many of which seem to be pushing for privitisation.

You also have to keep in mind that New Labour would not exist without thatcher and the partial adoption by New Labour of that ideology. Most of what thatcher did was not reversed under this government, not even the anti-union measures. there has been a methodical effort made to isolate the left-wing of the party, and to a rather large extent it has worked. this is the same issue Cameron is currently facing with the Conservative right-wing. the Age of Extreme Politics is over and all we are left with is a great steaming pile of mediocrity.

Quote:
Not sure why there is so much anti Labour blood around here and such a "I Vote Green, I Vote Blue" and a "I vote a party that won't ever get into power" mentality.
Parties rise and parties fall. Parties have to be built from the ground up. It's challenging for council seats and working your way up, maybe getting some MPs, then you have some momentum.

Personally, I don't see why it's any worse than 'I vote for a shit Party which has betrayed it's original intent, supressed human rights and adopted thatcherite policies, because my family does.'

I have only voted once (and that was a debacle) and I doubt I will ever vote again, unless we are faced with a particularly shit candidate. Even saying that, I am in the Valleys which is a Labour strong-hold so it doesn't really matter.

the entire system is a shambles, both politically and economically and I'm not sure you can have proper reform of the one without the other. Other countries have proportional repesentation and they are hardly bastions of equality and fe dom so it's not really going to make any difference.

Parties will move to the centre to get votes and seats, others will stay ideologically true and recieve neither. this will cotinue the status quo until there is some kind of economic collapse and people start voting for whichever nutjob can shout the loudest about immigrants/Muslims/Jews etc and gain some votes.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote