View Single Post
Unread 16 May 2010, 20:39   #176
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alliance player limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGayAl View Post
quite interesting tzu - like I said, I wasn't sure on my relativity knowledge - just going off the general impression I'd gathered over the years. I'm very surprised I'm that wrong though... but lack inclination to read up on the boring area. Your article is also highly biassed which makes me question it's authenticity in some areas. Similarly I could para-phrase a quote from Richard Feynman - something like: "anyone can understand relativity - no on understands quantum mechanics.". And I can assure you he did understand relativity And its certainly a viewpoint I agree fully with, though I never did the proper hardcore general relativity at a high level.

Oh, on a minor sidenote, "So there were problems known even during Newtons day with his theory." - those are almost theological problems with the theory. Sure they existed, but sure as hell weren't motivation for a new theory, or any indication that the theory was wrong.
I'll confess my main interest in relativity is that there are areas of it which I never quite felt at ease with. Even so, you imply that Einstein simply replaced Newton, which is a misrepresentation of the facts. He refined and unified previous theories, and although the outcome looks new and strange, the process reveals the actuality of it. After all, science is hardly ever about giant leaps but small, incremental improvements which over time shift the perspective. The idea of great revelations is simply a misconception because the public isn't aware of the gruntwork in between each step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGayAl View Post
There isn't a single point I could make where you wouldn't angrilly mock it and paste a link to some relatively flimsy data to back you up. You are also all extremely one-sided on the issue, and are almost ganging up on anyone that thinks differently.

(ps. the posts by tzu and jester were pretty great, for what its worth... but just because you go to that effort to discuss your point, doesn't mean kaiba/etc are to be ignored+ridiculed just because they won't do it themselves)
I would gladly hear your arguments, and I for one would not be inclined to dismiss them without first considering them. If I did so, I'd be a hypocrite for expecting others to try and take in and understand my arguments.

I believe that largely what you have identified as "angry mocking", "ignoring" and "ridicule" is due to the stated attitude of Kaiba and others. They have not only failed to even attempt to address the points made by myself and others, but have also out right stated that they disregard these posts because of the origin of the argument or an unwillingness to try and understand the opposing arguments.

As long as someone is willing to honestly debate me on a subject, I will oblige to the best of my ability. If proven wrong, I will accept that. However, when I encounter people who are intellectually lazy and either do not wish to engage in real, meaningful discussion or who wish to have all the answers handed to them, my tone changes. Put simply, such an unwillingness to learn and comprehend, and such a disregard for scientific theory as has been displayed by Kaiba and others when at their worst, disgusts me.

I hope this is of some use to explain my actions, as you don't seem wholly unreasonable, even if you do study quantum theory :P

ps. String Theory is bullshit