View Single Post
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 05:02   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Religion and the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
sorry Monroe - there are massive interpretation errors in the bible.
I have heard many people claim this but never had seen anyone prove it. There are many passages that apear to be in contridiction on a quick reading of the english, but on careful study of the Hebrew or Greek the issues have been resolved. I took a class in college taught by an aithest on the old testement as literature and the first day he challenged anyone in the class to find an contridiction in the text and over the course of the semester no one could find a single error that couldn't be reasonably explained with a proper understanding of the hebrew or the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Just compare the difference between the King James bible and the more recent editions - some of the passages read very differently.
This has mostly to do with translation, and of course there are people who write their own versions which are not literal translations, or are altered to fit their personal beliefs, in which case I would agree with your main point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Which makes the fact that some people take the English version literally even more laughable.
I would agree with this in the sense that any time you deal with a translation (of any text) you have to be very careful with what you take literaly and what you do not.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote