View Single Post
Unread 24 Sep 2017, 00:25   #19
Edge
hate us cuz they ain't us

Edge has a spectacular aura aboutEdge has a spectacular aura about
Re: Redesigning the Overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Does this insinuate that your laptop is sometimes in your pocket? How big are your pockets???

Although I like the changes suggested I have to agree with the app suggestion. It's what PA needs to regrow or just sustain. The game is playable from a mobile browser but it is not ideal or pretty. I'm surprised in this ages when young kids make large amount of $$$ from app we can't find one person to make one for this game.
My pockets are swole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post

On the "make an app" - I've seen certainly 6 developers over the last ~10 years say they had time, come in to "help make the game better", and ultimately contribute about 0 lines of code which is still in use. There was actually also a team who went to go and make an app for us 2 years ago or so, and then basically faded and gave up.

Everyone who posts assumes this is actually built with some sort of modern framework, rather than 80k of "legacy code" which has gradually been refactored a bit over 10 years part time. It's a little frustrating.
Crowdsourcing to make this into an app you'd almost have to build the game from scratch; there's only internal perl libraries to call and I doubt anyone would want to use perl to make apps. Even assuming for no graphics, it's a few months and you'd want to do it iteratively as much as you can to get value and grow the app, but you're still talking a couple of developers at a cost of ... well, conservatively, I can't see you paying external professionals less than £5-10k for it, if you take into consideration testing and matching Planetarion code. Happy to be challenged on that.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to assume anything and I am sure it's frustrating seeing people (esp like me) throw comments around about things you guys have probably already discussed ad nauseam and I agree it wouldn't be cheap or easy and atm definitely not cost effective.

That being said, the game would be more enjoyable if it had an app.

Last edited by Edge; 28 Sep 2017 at 16:15.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote