View Single Post
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 06:20   #35
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Ship naming competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Not so keen on vision or apparition myself, but I do like the rest of them. Get me replacements for those 2 please!
Same, really.

Quote:
Besides which, blackguard, according to the dictionary means;
'1. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel.
2. A foul-mouthed person.'

But it sounds cool by me.
A blackguard was a shoe-shiner. Apparantly London* shoe-shiners were a bunch of thieving bastards.

Edit: Hm, online etymology doesn't quite agree with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=blackguard&searchmode=none
blackguard
1532, of uncertain application. Perhaps once an actual military or guard unit; more likely orig. a mock-military ref. to scullions and kitchen-knaves of noble households, of black-liveried personal guards, and of shoeblacks. By 1736, sense had emerged of "one of the criminal class."
* Though I'm not sure if it's specific for London, that's the context in which I've read about it.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote