Thread: World War I
View Single Post
Unread 2 Jul 2006, 21:48   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: World War I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Having just watched a documentary about the battle of the Somme (not as futile as some would think it seems) it got me wondering about World War I in general.

World War I was supposed to be "the war to end all wars", as we know things didn't quite work out that way. But did anything useful come out of World War I at all? Personally I've always seen it as a dress rehearsal for the real World War but do any of you think differently?

Medical advances were huge. It also left Britain and France economically crippled and the empire was beginning to have trouble as a result. Tanks were developed for WW1 although very basic. It spurred on technology considerably really.

As for 'not as bad as it seemed', if you focus in on the battle by itself it was a rather massive disaster for the British forces. Too many died for the little land gained. On the eastern flank a General (i cant remember the guys name) broke German lines but as he was then 'ahead' of the rest of British forces was told to hold his position instead of looping around and bringing fire on the Germans from both sides. The whole battle was a farce when it came to tactical planning. Charging cavalary at guns and artillary was just retarded. When i studied it in depth and read a heap of books it struck me that in some ways the blackadder sketch of the general just knocking down great swathes off men on his play battlefield wasnt too far from the truth. Some of the ideas were just bizarre as to how it should be conducted.

However the 'bigger' picture the somme was (some would say) instrumental in bringing about German defeat. Heavy losses were incurred on both sides and the Germans took an absolute hammering. They lost a valuable line of defence etc etc and this led to the eventual defeat of Germany. I think (and this is from 2 years ago) a fair few experts estimate it shortened the war by a year or more or somesuch.

I have a university piece i wrote on the somme which got a first (go team me) but as my pc is currnetly lying in tatters with just about everything blown up i cant read it and post any useful comments here.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote