View Single Post
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 21:28   #50
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road
Re: Retro Games You Want Remakes Off

Golden Axe is being released as a port onto PS2 as part of a Sega Classic's Collection.
First impressions are that they've murdered Golden Axe though. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamespot.com
If you played the Golden Axe arcade machine that was first released in 1989, you'll remember it featured three playable characters: a barbarian named Ax Battler, an Amazon named Tyris Flare, and a Viking dwarf named Gilius Thunderhead. As you walked from left to right, you'd be confronted by all manner of armor-clad and undead enemies, some of whom were riding mounts that you could climb onto yourself. The game's other most memorable feature, perhaps, was the inclusion of the small thieves who appeared and ran around the screen occasionally, dropping food and magic potions from their bags every time you hit them. The PS2 remake of Golden Axe replaces the original's 2D visuals with some pretty poor 3D ones, in addition to making all three mount types useless (for the most part), introducing some annoyingly unresponsive controls, and actually making the game struggle to maintain a healthy frame rate any time there are more than five or six characters onscreen. We should also point out that while the game does feature two-player support, we were able to take a solo Gilius Thunderhead all the way to the last level using only one move, his forward roll, during which he's practically invulnerable.
The sad thing is I'll probally get it anyway. Damm Sega for using nostalgia to make me part with my money!

Full Preview of The game can be found here