Thread: Update
View Single Post
Unread 5 Jun 2009, 21:22   #25
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of
Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post
3 credits to cost £20, something like that.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Without changing the effect upgrading has, I think you will see less paid accounts. The guy who had bought PA just before you (jamie) came on to irc one and night and chatted with the people in #planetarion about credits. What he found out was that there are many people who buy credits for other people each round. If you double the cost of buying more then 1 credit, I fear less people will "get" upgraded. I'm talking about the people who would never buy a credit anyway (for what ever reason) and have depended round after round on their alliance/gal mates/etc to buy it for them. If you raise the rates so drastically, I think people may be less inclined to buy credits for other players.

Right now there is only a slight benefit to actually being upgraded anyway. If you have to raise the rates, but say, also changed it so you got to pick a new upgrade bonus (for example) every 300 ticks, it would keep the demand for being upgraded high, while creating an additional incentive to actually *get* upgraded. You may still run into the problem listed above, but by changing the traditional implementation of the upgrade, people may feel like they are getting more for their money. (Side note is this would affect late sign ups who depend on a large accumulative research bonus for a boost, so perhaps the size of the initial bonus could be based on the tick you sign up as well.)

That is just one idea for changing the upgrade benefit, there are tons of different things you could do, either to make the upgrade more alluring or to just increase revenue (ie mulitple upgrades per round, extra ships, etc). But raising the price without changing anything, plus remembering all the downtime and rollbacks we have every round, just doesn't seem worth it.