Thread: GIF Ad Banners
View Single Post
Unread 25 Mar 2008, 17:53   #86
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: GIF Ad Banners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The silly thing with this thread is that on the one hand I'm being told that making GIF banners is stupid and pointless, then on the other hand that school should be more engaging and fun.
So, it's not possible to engage a student in concepts of more worth, to a point where they are having fun?

Therefore, all those mathematicians (and any others who are engaged in subjects that aren't cool by today's standards) who have devoted a sizeable chunk of their lives to that subject did it even though it's not fun and exciting? Or perhaps only some (the ones that end up undertaking degree in mathematics, for example) students can find mathematics fun and interesting, thus absolving the current education system?

Quote:
Nod/Weeks, while I can see the logic in the report you linked to, there are some areas it just brushes over and ignores; mainly assessment. Kids like to be assessed and to know their grades/marks. They like to be able to quantify their progress and work. Teaching them in the style suggested doesn't lend itself to quantifiable assessment, so how do we know if they are learnig or even progressing as learners?
It doesn't brush over assessment. There's an example of a student explaining a mathematical concept in her own words. You can assess someone on that ability, which is far more laudable and worthwhile than assessing a student on whether he or she can remember a formula.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote