Thread: GIF Ad Banners
View Single Post
Unread 24 Mar 2008, 09:30   #84
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: GIF Ad Banners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
if the state of mathematics education is so dire and terrible, then why do we still have a significant proportion of students taking it up beyond GCSE level?
Probably because theyre better at it than other subjects and find it less boring than History/Geography or whatever. Picking a subject at school doesnt mean you enjoy it; being prepared to do it in your free time does.

Quote:
If it's so boring and crappy and takes the enjoyment out of it, then why do you, I, and many others enjoy maths problems?
The majority of people dont enjoy math problems and (more importantly) also wouldnt know what a math problem even is (going back to the point that whats taught in high school isnt really maths).

How many people who enjoy 'math problems' enjoy memorising lots of different trig forumlae theyre never going to use, or the horrors of high school calculus?

Quote:
The reason (which this article doesn't seem to address) is that not everyone can enjoy maths. There will always be some subjects at school which we do not enjoy. I hated sports (PE) and MFL
Everyone loved running around and playing games with their friends as kids yet most people hate high school PE classes. Perhaps this is another manifestation of the same problem!

I mean the fact that you have so many people who seem to not enjoy "playing games outside" suggests theres something seriously wrong going on here.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way I believe that Maths does involve more "fun" type puzzles now than when we were at school.
Well the standard curriculum doesnt. Obviously teachers can try to teach real maths on the side; the guy who wrote that article is a highschool teacher and thats what he was doing.

Last edited by Nodrog; 24 Mar 2008 at 09:39.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote