View Single Post
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:43   #22
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Partitioning my hard-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
and both have the unfortunate problem of costing money :s.
I know

It is likely something you can only avoid with luck, criminal energy or quite some time spend. The best free resizer is FIPS but thats the one the linux installations use, you may be lucky to find an older version of some resizing tool for cheap money on a magazine CD (happens from time to time in germany) but older versions might have problems resizing current NTFS partitions (depends on the software installed on your partition) so you may even risk your data.

Time consuming "free" methods would be backing up your data and re-installing your WindowsXP into a smaller partition. As an alternative you may be able to do an image backup (acronis trueimage, powerquest driveimage) and restore it into a smaller partition but that once again would lead to the same problems (nonfree software, older versions possibly having problems with current NTFS partitions, spending a lot time to do it and risking your data).

Oh and if you are lucky, you could just try the swap-disable trick mentioned in the Suse manual and have FIPS shrink the partition further.

Apart from that there are some dirty tricks to go around the partition resizing or re-installation but as you are not that experienced in partitioning, i dont even want to mention them
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote