View Single Post
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 19:49   #14
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Partitioning my hard-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
Ok, so I tried to follow the suse install guide, but it seems to get an error when trying to srink the windows partition down to 45gig, dispite the fact that its only using 35gig, why would this happen? (I think the error was error code 3045)
From section 1.8 of the manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSE 10 Manual
To shrink the Windows partition, interrupt the installation and boot Windows to prepare the partition from there. Although this step is not strictly required for FAT partitions, it speeds up the resizing process and also makes it safer. These steps are vital for NTFS partitions.
Quote:
NTFS File System

In Windows, run scandisk and defrag to move the files to the beginning of the hard disk. In contrast to the FAT file system, you must perform these steps. Otherwise the NTFS partition cannot be resized.
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Disabling the Windows Swap File

If you operate your system with a permanent swap file on an NTFS file system, this file may be located at the end of the hard disk and remain there despite defrag. Therefore, it may be impossible to shrink the partition sufficiently. In this case, temporarily deactivate the swap file (the virtual memory in Windows). After the partition has been resized, reconfigure the virtual memory.
Yast is likely using FIPS (code) to resize the partition. FIPS never fully supported NTFS just like other linux drivers or tools never did.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote