View Single Post
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 19:08   #10
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Partitioning my hard-drive

If you have a hard disk with an existing system installed on it and you want to keep it, you likely need to resize the existing partition(s) first to make some space on your hard disk. For Linux a software called FIPS does that, but it isnt foolproof. For Windows the software i mentioned in my first posting both do that with an easy to use graphical user interface.

If you have partitions installed on your hard disk but dont need them anymore, you need to erase them first before repartitioning for/with linux. You can do that from within the SUSE tools through the manual setup.

If you have enough free disk space to just add the SUSE installation or the hard disk doesnt contain any partitions yet, you can use the automatic installation from SUSE. Those automatic installations usually have one major problem - they assume they can use the hard disk fully for themselves. So if you afterwards want to install another system on the same hard disk, you need to resize and possibly move existing partitions.

If you want to have both windows and linux easily selectable on your laptop, install windows first and then install linux. The default installation of SUSE will create a bootmenu via GRUB in the MBR and you can conveniently select your OS during booting.

Most importantly - if you have any data on your hard disk you dont want to lose during installation - back it up in advance.

The suse documentation with a setup howto is here: http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse10/
Setup->Installation with YaST->1.8 Installation settings

Last edited by Ramihyn; 24 Dec 2005 at 19:16.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote