Thread: Prisons Today
View Single Post
Unread 27 Jan 2007, 19:40   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Prisions Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Yes i know!, which is why prison doesnt work. The impact of prison is only over a single generation, the reason for crime continous to exist.
So you agree it has an impact?

And I'm afraid I'm not going to be here for ever, so forgive me if I expect my government to do things that help me, and not say "well, it won't have any permanent effect, so I'm afraid we're not going to bother".

Quote:
And i have silly analogies!! If you employed and trained enough gps to provide medical care at a ratio of 2 patients per GP you wouldn't have a significant continous impact on general health issues unless you addressed the cause of those issues (obesity, smoking etc). If the NHS had a continous impact over generations, the budget of the NHS would be decreasing with time. Hereditary traits aside (which aren't comparable to crime) the 'general health' of a population can only be affected by improving their circumstance, not giving them heart bypasses after they get ill.
You have the worst understanding of healthcare and illness I've ever seen.

(On the plus side, I'm not obese, I don't smoke and I live in a very well-off area, so I'm never going to get ill. )

Quote:
I doubt any family is joyous at the sentence they recieve, still change insurgent bodycount to insurgent incarceration. If the americans capture a certain number of iraqis a months and via fair trial they're sentenced to x number of years, will the insurgency decrease?
Stop going on about Iraq. General crime in a Western nation and insurgency by a population against foreign troops seen as a hostile occupying force are such astronomically different concepts that no amount of tweaking is going to make your analogy worthwhile.

Quote:
You love finding strawmen don't you?! It can hardly be said the insurgency is the simplistic result of people taking revenge. My analogy was on what drove them to commit crimes, and that as failure to address that there was no reduction in crime.
But that point wasn't made because you picked a silly analogy.

Quote:
I'm afraid i write to the standard GD level
Heh.

Quote:
if you don't understand my point theres little i can do.
I understand your point, I just think it's silly, and since your only argument for it is to repeat it as if it's fact I can't really discuss it with you.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote