View Single Post
Unread 24 Jan 2007, 10:50   #23
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
Re: Drifting towards 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
Friendship isn't some deep, cosmic connection, it's just a convenient way of spending time around people that you find bearable.
While I don't neccesarily disagree with this, isn't this a bit "pessimistic" to think about the friendships you have with other people like this? Surely the fact that a decent friendship can endure alot of stress and hard times means that it's more than just spending time around people that you find bearable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
You seem to be worried about the idea that there are other people who are intellectually 'better' than you in some ways; this is undoubtedly true, but you will be better than them in other ways. The best analogy I can think of is comparative advantage; the point being that you will never be the best at everything, and trying to be so is counter-productive.
While this may be true, surely there's a difference between accepting the fact that there's people better than you and coming to realise you're just average at everything. Which is how I consider myself, I don't excel(sp?) at anything nor do I really have any more problems with anything than anybody else does, I'm not particularly goodlooking nor am I ugly, I'm not the smartest guy around nor have I ever struggled with my studies. Aren't you supposed to feel better than most people about something to be able to cope with life succesfully/walk through life with enough self-esteem?
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote