View Single Post
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 01:04   #34
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Lesbians get nailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Boogster hereby presents Missing The Actual Point 101

Precedent is set by the ratio decidendi of a case - the reasoning behind a decison. It is the point in the case that determines the judgement. For example, Fagan v Metropolitan Police Commissioner. I don't like linking to wikipedia for this, but most law databases require special access, usually via Athens for us students.
Well, smother me with chocolate and sell me for 10p: I'm a right chump am't I?

I know all this stuff. I was simply going on this:

'But the judge told the couple they faced "an insurmountable hurdle" in trying to have a same-sex marriage recognised in English law.
Giving his ruling on Monday he said the majority of people and governments across Europe regarded marriage as an "age-old institution".
Marriage was, by "longstanding definition and acceptance", a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children, he said. '

Forgive me, I simply couldn't be bothered to look up the stuff. Thanks for doing it for me and for the great lashings of condescension.