View Single Post
Unread 30 Sep 2008, 20:28   #13
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: Practical Ethical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo View Post
Not especially.

You assert that with such a device in place, we'd see improved equality. I assume that you believe this because 'the rich' would fear annihilation by a disenfranchised 'poor' and so cough up some money to effectively buy them off. If my interpretation's off here then do clarify.

My problem is that for this scenario to be genuinely threatening in the first place, half of the population of the earth must be willing to blow themselves up. That seems pretty unlikely purely on the basis that they haven't gone and killed themselves already. So if the rich perceive the threat as hollow, why would they bother changing the way they operate?

Living in a rich country like yours, it might be hard to understand the extent of the damage (emocional, political, ethical, etc) that extreme inequalities can bring.
Considering that one billion people live well below the poverty line, out of which none is on England, excluding the pathological poor, it may become very hard for you to understand the feelings of the majority of the world ( which live under appaling conditions).

Let me ask you this:

Being a rich, and having no means by checking how much is the counter on, would you risk it?
Would you not try to help even a single soul?

i believe you would

People today dont just kill themselves becase they simply dont have anything to gain from it. Give them the oportunity to harm the perceived evil, and you got yourself a nice lil massacre.

Today most people have some acess to the rest of the world, and even the poorest have, at some point, seen a trully rich man. For this situation there is the old adage

i could live with being poor if i hadnt seen the riches.