View Single Post
Unread 5 Jun 2010, 15:28   #19
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Leaving teaching?

To be entirely honest, after my what, 12-13 years in the government education system (Whatever the years before university kicks in is called), I can fully appreciate that teachers ought to be paid better because then perhaps more non-idiots would be attracted to teaching.

By non-idiots I mean charismatic people more so than geniuses really. What I mean to say is that I think a lot of people who are able to understand and connect with youngsters / students tend to go elsewhere because the pay is better. There's an extraordinary amount of interesting subjects that just become horrendous when the teacher is someone who just drones on and on without actually being the kind of person you'd want to listen to.

One of the best lecturers I've ever had here at the university is an engineer employed at SINTEF who teaches part time just because he loves mathematics and would love for you to love it too. Those people should be in teaching, but private sector is much better paid so they'll go there instead.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote