View Single Post
Unread 7 Jun 2007, 08:25   #42
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Working/moving abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
Is it possible to get a permanent visa for these countries?
I heard they have pretty strict immigrant laws aswell, originally New Zealand has always been my dream country, but since I heard about very strict immigrant laws and such I kinda got discouraged. Seems like US has very strict immigrant laws aswell though. People want to keep me from living in countries with good weather
As for the euro not being worth much overthere, does it differ alot? Like how far would i come with say 1500 euros. Less than a month?
You're a bit unlucky insofar as the AUD (and the NZD i imagine) have been appreciating against the Euro for a while now. But nevertheless, everythings reletively alot cheaper here (in australia at least ). In effect, with the exchange rates how they are, you win on exchange coming into australia, work for reletively less pay but everything costs less, but loose on the exchange rate on the way out. This isnt necessarily a bad thing though; if you're starting with a small amount of money (like 1500 euro), then you want that amplified before you can get a job and start working (saving up more than 1500 euro, which shouldnt be too hard), and then if your intention is to return to europe then you'll loose on the outward exchange, but you'll still have more than you did previously due to accumulating wealth whilst working and not incurring much costs whilst living.

In Perth, where i live, the probability that you'll find a job is effectively 100%. We have unemployment around the 3% level (it could be less now), and every business is moaning about not being able to find any staff. That, combined with annualised growth rates like 14% or more, and Western Australia is getting a little pricey (rents) due to inflation and whatnot, but iirc wages are still growing faster so its all good (ie, a real wage increase). Besides, its really easy to find more work (atm, i have three jobs and still studying full time at uni) if that's what you're looking for.

Other states in Australia arent in boom times though; New South Wales and Victoria is a bit stagnant, South Australia isnt much better. Queensland is a bit like WA but not as good as they're a bit strange up there - do you like steak? - (plus its humid in Brisbane, in Perth its more of a dry heat), and the weather is great for a european in Perth; except for 15 minutes today, it hasnt rained in about two weeks, and we are in high winter :\.

Additionally, i dont believe that work permits slash permerant residency is all that hard to achive, provided you are trying to go through the correct channels. Asylum seekers who arrive here via unauthorised boat travel are dealt with quite harshly (and thus perhaps the repulation as being stingy), but proper applicants are treated fairly generously to the extent of my knowledge. Posessing degrees and/or qualifications in certain areas (like teaching, plumbing, hairdressing and a few really random things left over from the cold war) generally add bonus points and make things easier.

I dont know about teaching English (or English lit) here in the normal school system would be a good idea for you, however running the IT department and/or teaching Information Systems or somesuch at high schools could easily be a possible course of action. You might need a diploma of education (or its equilivent) before you can teach, but there are courses available for you to do that whilst you're working at TAFE colleges and whatnot. If that's what you want to do, then there should be no worries.

So, in effect; Australia (at least, dunno about NZ) should be 1) reasonably easy to get into - you speak English well (based on your typing), if you've got an IT degree, if you intend to go to WA or QLD in particular, the exchange rate works in your favour (though less so than it used to), and you're pretty much certain to get a job here. The weather's good too.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote