View Single Post
Unread 6 Jun 2007, 14:29   #17
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
Re: Working/moving abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Once you get wherever you plan to go, the one thing that struck me is how hard it is not having any credit history.
You may need your company to vouch for you even to get into an apartment. Loan for a car? Forget it, unless you want to pay extornionate interest rates (we did, it set up our credit for the future, but cost us several thousand to do it).

A friend of mine, who happens to be CFO of the same company, just moved over. He makes $250k a year, but he has the same problem.
Hmm yeah I didn't really think about getting loans and stuff. As I said, it isn't a real thought through idea just something playing in my mind the last couple of weeks. May I ask what skill you have that makes you worth it for the US to sponsor you?
I don't really have any special skills, as far as I know, I'm quite average in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Do you have any idea of what you'd like to do once you're out there?

You could do an TEFL course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). I think it takes 6 weeks or so (part time). Once you've got this, you're qualified to go to loads of different countries to teach English to kids there. People usually get contracts for 1 year or so, which allows them to live somewhere while earning a bit of money to fund the travel over there.

KaneED did it recently (or similar) so hopefully he can post something a bit more useful - but unless you're really adverse to the idea of teaching (TEFL generally isn't about setting homework etc, it's about getting them used to speaking the language - or so I've been led to believe) then it might be worth looking into...?
If you're refering to mistwraith's idea, no I don't. I was kinda wondering what kind of stuff you could do for a year, for example that TEFL thing. I personally don't mind teaching, although I'm not sure if I'm very good at it. Can people who aren't english even do TEFL?
Either way I doubt people in australia/new zealand would need a belgian to teach them their own language though. I suppose Japan always struck me as interesting aswell, but that's totally "Lost in Translation" though.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote